Home » General Articles (Random Topics) »August 17, 2012
Humor in writing can be more effective than writing boring, heavy and ever-crying material. A writer uses all his energy and vocabulary for conveying the message to the readers, who rarely receive it with the same level of enthusiasm with which the writer had thrown it on them. Remember, writer’s job is not just to convey his thoughts but to affect and even modify readers’ behavior. After the advent of television and mobile phones, one hardly “wins” few precious readers who are now an endangered species. But there is still something good about readers, they like humor.
Humorous and funny articles have their readership in almost every culture and society. It is not that funny articles are all about purposeless fun, but when aptly written, such writings are cordially welcomed by the readers. Humorous material can deliver a grave thought with ease and fluency. Every language has its humor writers who have been successful in influencing their victims i.e. readers.
So, how to write funny articles exactly? As humor is not once-size-fits-all, our radars differently interpret the incoming humor and convert them into smile, laughter, guffaw or even anger. However, there are few tips unfortunately, so you have to keep reading. Be aware that a staunch following of these tips is not required as humor should come from inside. Never try too hard to be funny or you will further lower the number of our endangered species. Keep reading. Here are the tips for writing a funny article:
• Be the Joke Yourself – Make people laugh at yourself. This is a good way of dragging a precious smile out of them without offending them. How you look like, what valuable idiocies you posses [there are many], what imbecility you like to perform mostly, etc., all such stuff make people forget their tiring day.
• Be specific – Generalizations may be funny but specificity is funnier.
• Press the Fun Trigger Timely – Use the funny word or phrase at the eleventh hour. Think about imposing a pause by starting a new paragraph before the punch line. In a story, use this technique for the sake of surprise, taking the reader in a totally unexpected direction.
• Spend the Wealth of Words – Before spending it, you should have earned it first. A mere word can be extraordinarily funny sometimes. For example, destroy is ordinary but pulverize is funny. Yellow is conventional while chartreuse is interesting. Surprise is common but flabbergasted is match-less.
• Edit Please – Your first attempt has some good funny material in it but there may be sentences which restrict the flow of your write-up. Just delete them after calling them terrorists. Edit your article and use the tips above to enhance the fun factor in it. Then do it once again. Later, read it out to someone who does not understand your language. This avoids utmost humiliation while facilitating you to correct the cadence of the article. Finally ask someone to read. Now focus on the corners of their eyes while trying to be absolutely indifferent. This is the best feedback you can get.